Hello there =)
Why in the world did I decide that February’s 30 Day Challenge be to walk more? It’s cold, it’s snowy, it’s still getting dark early. Oh, right… that’s what makes it a challenge.
In the summer, there would be no problem getting those ten thousand in. A walk around the block. Take the kids/dogs to the park. Heck, even mowing the lawn! We sure have our work cut out for us… I decided to come up with some ways we can all achieve our Walk Ten Thousand goals in this cold, wintery weather.
Amp Up Everyday Steps
- Take The Stairs – Work on the 2nd floor? Say bye-bye to the elevator! Take those stairs and watch the steps add up!
- Drink More Water – Never quite reached your Well With Water goals? Now is the time! More water means more trips to the little girls room… and more steps =)
- Walk and Talk – Don’t take a phone call lying, or sitting, down! Grab that phone and pace while you talk. You’ll gain more steps and get your heart rate up. Bonus mini cardio workout <– you’re welcome.
- Park Farther Away – Even though it’s winter we still need to be out an about. I know it’s tempting to snag the spot next to the handicap space but you’ve got a goal to reach! Park as far away as you can stand.
- Go The Long Way – Is there a longer way to walk there? Take it! My desk is exactly in the middle of the office and I have access to 2 bathrooms, one on either end of the office. I walk the perimeter of the back of the office on my way to the front bathroom. Sometimes I do that and then use the restroom that’s downstairs. Bonus steps!
Pin it for later!
Take It Indoors
Just can’t stand the snow, let alone walking in it? Find some indoor spaces to keep your feet shuffling through the cold days. I came up with a couple places that should be warm enough for you to keep moving.
- Mall Walk – Be a mall walker. Window shopping and racking up your step count at the same time. A lot of malls open early specifically for people to walk.
- School or Community building – When these buildings are open in the evening, get permission to walk the halls. Maybe get a bunch of people together (PTA members?) and do it as a group!
I hope I’ve given you at least one new idea to get your 10,000 steps in. What other ways can you think of to get more steps?